Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bordello




I hadn't heard of Gogol Bordello when I got the call yesterday to interview lead singer Eugene Hutz at the Metro. This Gypsy band of rag tags have two things in common, a love of New York, and a love of Gypsy music. Eugene himself moved to America from the Ukraine when he was 25, and takes pride in the fact that no two members of his nine-or-so member band are from the same country.

I've never been so close to a real life played-with-Madonna rockstar. It was intense. He was intense. I asked Eugene what inspired him. The Sun, the Moon, Father Earth and Mother Ocean. Then I gave him an Easter egg. He was only moderately impressed.

I urge you to check them out. If you like to have a good time and a dance and to get messy and slightly Russian, this band is for you. Headlining Byron Bay Blues Fest

No comments:

Post a Comment